Today, global economic fragility, social alienation and environmental breakdown seem to point to a time of crisis for all humanity.
‒ A. Keith Smiley, who inspired us "to perceive problems as opportunities." (1980)
Paul C. Huth To Be Honored
for Exceptional Environmental Work
Join Us for This Very Special Celebration!
Monday, April 22, 2013
Mohonk Mountain House Parlor
5 pm – 8 pm
Mohonk Consultations and Mohonk Preserve
invite you to join us at the joint presentation of
Mohonk Consultations’ 2013 Distinguished
Environmental Achievement Award to the Preserve’s
Director Emeritus of Research Paul C. Huth, honoring
his nearly four decades of service at the Preserve.
“Paul Huth is a walking encyclopedia of the flora and fauna of the Shawangunk Ridge,” said Mohonk Consultations’ Vice Chair Sandra Smiley. “His many years of working alongside Dan Smiley allowed Paul to absorb the essence of Dan’s mission of commitment to maintaining a balance between human activities and a healthy natural environment.” [Photo by Tim Shuipis. Courtesy of Mohonk Preserve, DSRC]
Paul worked with Dan Smiley from 1974 until Dan’s death in 1989, when Paul assumed the role of the Preserve’s Director of Research. During his long career, Paul has made science accessible to 1000s of Preserve visitors and Mohonk Mountain House guests through his engaging lectures, educational nature walks, and Daniel Smiley Research Center tours.
“As the Preserve marks its 50th Anniversary in 2013, we are delighted to join Mohonk Consultations in honoring Paul for his extraordinary leadership in environmental research and education,” said Mohonk Preserve Executive Director Glenn Hoagland. “We look forward to working with Paul in his continuing role as Director of Research Emeritus at the Preserve for many years to come.”
The Award program will include a “virtual field trip,” a nominating speech by Mohonk Preserve Director of Conservation Science John Thompson, and a keynote presentation by Mohonk historian, Larry Burgess, Ph.D., Director of the A.K. Smiley Public Library in Redlands, California. The program also includes a reception featuring hors d’oeuvres.
Registration is required and is $50 per person, with part of the proceeds to benefit Mohonk Consultations and Mohonk Preserve. You may register online at
or by mailing a check payable to Mohonk Consultations to:
Attn. Paul Huth Award
1000 Mountain Rest Road
Lake Mohonk, New Paltz NY 12561
Please note: Seating will be limited to 200.
We have 43 seats left [Updated April 19, 2013].
SAVE THE DATE!
A Watershed Moment: Changing Climate
and the Future of Our Water Resources
A Conference presented by
Mohonk Consultations & the Hudson River Watershed Alliance
Monday, November 11, 2013, 9 am - 4 pm
Mohonk Mountain House Conference Center
In the Hudson Valley Region, climate trends indicate that our communities will experience stronger storms and wetter weather. The increased incidence of flooding and the need for more careful water management are complex challenges already being faced by many local towns and villages. We will bring together concerned citizens and representatives of community organizations, businesses, local government, and higher education to address these issues and explore how we can together best adapt to this dimension of climate change. [Photo by Simon Gruber. A damaged road, overturned truck, and flooded farm fields in the black dirt region of the Wallkill River flood plain, southern Orange County, NY.]
The conference will focus these topics:
* Reducing and managing the risk of flooding, including consideration of land use in floodplains and other areas near streams and exploring the value of green infrastructure strategies for storm water and stream corridor management
* Addressing water quality issues in the context of stream management goals and increased flooding
* Managing water resources to ensure adequate supplies for drinking water and other human and commercial needs, while also protecting streams and watersheds to restore and sustain the region's fisheries, wildlife, recreational opportunities and other priorities
* Creating community-based, sustainable water resources planning and management strategies that can enhance the region's economy, create jobs and contribute to our overall quality of life, including linkages with public health, fitness, and the well-being of our communities.
SAVE THE DATE!
More information will be forthcoming
about speakers and registration details.
Thank you to all who helped make this 2012 Conference a great success. We welcomed over 120 people and will report on the content in our annual 2013 newsletter.
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY, LOCAL OPPORTUNITIES
Exploring exciting innovations in sustainable energy
to assist small businesses, municipalities,
individuals & farmers
A Mohonk Consultations Conference
Monday, November 12th, 2012
9 am - 4 pm
Mohonk Mountain House Conference Center
Keynote Talk: Kevin Cahill, New York State Assemblyman, Chair of NYS Assembly Energy CommitteePresentations:
- Solar - Vinnie Cozzillino, The Solar Energy Consortium
- Wind - Central Hudson engineering staff
- Geothermal - Fred Schabot, Lowe's Plumbing
- Biofuel - Jim Ottaway, converting municipal waste to energy
- NYSERDA - financial incentives for implementation
- Energy Efficiency - Pasquale Strocchia
Breakout Groups - Networking - Vendor Tables